Placements are open for the following programmes starting in September:
- Start-Up (create and sell a product or service)
- Freelancer (sell your services as a freelancer)
- Film Production (work as a freelance videographer, editor etc. Or commercialise your film work in other ways)
We have 70 places available. Apply now!
Please carefully read the information below before applying (application link below).
Based in the Hallam i-Lab, our Enterprise sandwich year placements put you in control, providing a unique opportunity to develop your own business idea within one of the programmes outlined above.
Our dedicated Student Enterprise Coaches will guide you through a structured programme of learning whilst motivating and inspiring you to succeed, within a community of like-minded individuals.
If you can work independently, are self-motivated, driven and committed to working at least 21 hours per week on your idea, we want to hear from you.
Read below about what our current cohort of 65 students (from across 24 courses) are doing this year.
Have you met our current sandwich year students?
Before you apply, please be aware of the following:
You are advised to attend an information session (there will be more sessions advertised between now and April, so if you can’t make the date below please check back soon for another date):
The next information session is:
- You will need complete an application form (link below). If successful, you will be asked to attend an interview
- You will need to commit to spending every Wednesday in the Hallam i-Lab (Aspect Court, Pond Hill)
- You will be required to spend an additional minimum 15 hours working outside of Wednesday sessions
- We do not field student finance enquiries; please contact your funding provider (you will receive a reduced loan amount)
- The placement is unpaid
- You are permitted to work part-time alongside your placement but your placement must be your priority
- The programme runs from mid-September 2024 to the end of June 2025
Depending on when you apply, your interview will be on one of the following dates:
You will be notified of your interview date shortly after your application is received. If you are unable to attend the date provided we will work with you to find a date that suits you.
- Thursday 11th January
- Thursday 15th February
- Thursday 21st March
- Wednesday 8th May
- Thursday 9th May
- Monday 13th May
- Wednesday 15th May
- Thursday 16th May
- Monday 20th May
- Wednesday 22nd May
For interviews, you will be required to conduct a short presentation to our Student Enterprise Coaches and answer questions.
We aim to inform you of the outcome of your interview within five business days.
Our current cohort – come to the Hallam i-Lab and meet them
|Billy||Film Production Freelancer|
|Isaac||Film Production Freelancer|
|Hrithik||Film Production Freelancer|
|Charlie, Finn, Emily, Joseph, Lewis, Oliver||Film production business|
|Danyal||Film Production Freelancer|
|James||Film Editing Freelancer|
|Matthew||Commercial Film Series Producer|
|Charlie and Leenah||Film events business|
|Theo||Guitar Technician and accessory retail|
|Charlie||Freelance Product and Illustration designer|
|Chris||Freelance Product and Graphic Designer|
|Jakub||Freelance clothing alterations|
|Max||Freelance Product Designer|
|Sammy||Freelance Product and Graphic Designer|
|Shaun||Freelance Product dDesigner|
|Amy||Crochet toys and accessories|
|Annie||Freelance Interior Designer|
|Hannah and Molly||Freelance proof-reading business|
|Olivia||Freelance Special FX Makeup Artist|
|Zara||Freelance clothing alterations and retailer|
|Sav||Freelance Product Designer|
|Mathew and Kyle||Games Designers|
|Finley||Computing repair and retail business|
|Max||Amazon retail business|
|Bertie||Product design business|
|Dylan and Matilda||Comic book business|
|Marcus||Artwork retail business|
|Shoaib||Art commission business|
|Lania||Personal journal business|
|Blue||Upcycled clothing business|